Feeling stressed and not sure how to reduce it? Here are 5 super easy ways to de-stress rapidly.
1. Exhale - when we get stressed, we tend to hold our breath. This keeps our stress response active. When you exhale, you activate the rest response. Always, always, always remember to exhale.
2. Yawn 10 times in a row - yawning, even fake yawning, for 10 times in a row tells your brain to rapidly de-stress.
3. Run on the spot for 30 seconds - we feel stress because our fight or flight response has been activated and adrenaline and cortisol have been released in the body. If you run on the spot for 30 seconds, you will use up the adrenaline and cortisol and your body will return to a state of calmness.
4. Drink a glass of water - our bodies run on an electrical circuit. This circuit requires water to function properly. If you are dehydrated, you will feel stressed. Drinking a glass of water will restore the functioning of the electrical circuit and you will feel calmer.
5. Hug someone you like and trust - a hug activates the release of oxytocin in your body. Oxytocin activates the parasympathetic nervous system and the rest response. The rest response is the opposite of the fight or flight response. You need to hug someone you like and trust (person or animal) for at least 10 seconds. This will bring about a sense of calm in you.